With USD3.2 trillion in investments announced, G20 governments are leveraging infrastructure’s transformative potential to achieve greater social, environmental, and economic outcomes
Today, the GI Hub has launched a new resource that shows how G20 governments are spending the USD3.2 trillion in infrastructure as a stimulus that has been announced as at August 2021. Our analyses indicate that transport and social infrastructure are receiving a large proportion (roughly 45%) of the investment, and that governments are targeting transformative outcomes – particularly the low-carbon transition, affordability, digitalisation, and inclusive mobility.
With this resource, Transformative Outcomes Through Infrastructure, we present these and other data and examine trends in how infrastructure as a stimulus is being allocated. We also delve deeply into infrastructure outcomes, exploring the potential of infrastructure as a stimulus to transform our economies for an environmentally sustainable, inclusive, resilient, and digitally enabled future.
This initiative began in February 2020, when we began tracking infrastructure as a stimulus and working collaboratively with G20 members to deliver analyses and insights that would help G20 policymakers make more informed decisions about infrastructure as a post-COVID-19 stimulus. This work was completed at the request of the G20 and referenced in the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors’ Fourth Progress Report on the G20 Action Plan in October 2021. Now, we are making this resource publicly available to help a wider audience in the infrastructure industry:
- Have visibility of the amount of infrastructure as a stimulus and how it is being invested across countries, sectors, and targeted outcomes
- Act in their spheres of influence to achieve the greatest possible outcomes from infrastructure investment.
Transformative Outcomes Through Infrastructure contains sections relevant to everyone involved in infrastructure policy, planning, investment, and delivery:
- The InfraTracker tracks data and trends in infrastructure as a stimulus and how it is being invested by country, sector, subsector, and targeted outcome. It can be used by governments to help structure effective stimulus packages and by investors and private companies to identify opportunities.
- The example stimulus packages are packages targeting multiple transformative outcomes, and can be used by governments and MDBs as a guide to structuring and implementing effective infrastructure as a stimulus packages.
- The curated library of guidance and case studies contains guidance documents from global organisations and several case studies. This information can be used by governments and project directors in the public and private sectors to achieve transformative outcomes from infrastructure investment and projects.
Click through to see the full findings on how G20 governments are spending the USD3.2 trillion in infrastructure as a stimulus, and explore the other sections of Transformative Outcomes Through Infrastructure.