The health and economic impacts of COVID-19 across the globe have demonstrated that there has never been a more important time for effective policymaking by government, and infrastructure is no exception.
However, identifying policies that will lead to better infrastructure investment is no simple task. This is why we are about to release our updated InfraCompass tool, which quantifies the strength of the infrastructure enabling environment for 81 countries through exhaustive data analysis.
Succeeding our original InfraCompass tool, InfraCompass 2020 will enable you to assess where a country is performing well and where there are opportunities for improvement, allowing the identification of policies that will lead to better public and private infrastructure investment.
As an entrée ahead of its release later this month, here is a brief description of the top five new features of InfraCompass 2020.
- Introducing country rankings: Countries are ranked against each of the eight drivers of quality infrastructure, providing a wealth of insights into specific areas of strength and revealing opportunities for improvement.
- More countries, more data: We have expanded InfraCompass 2020 to include assessment of an additional 25 countries, including five from the Pacific Islands, taking our analysis to a total of 81 countries that collectively represent 93% of global GDP and 86% of the world population.
- Two new drivers: We have added Funding Capacity and Financial Markets as drivers of quality infrastructure in our updated InfraCompass framework, giving a more comprehensive picture of the infrastructure enabling environment.
- Compare compare compare: InfraCompass 2020 allows you to compare countries, regions and income groups from a high-level overview of key economic and infrastructure data, to performance at a driver level, or right down to each of the individual metrics that comprise our analysis. This is also the first time you can compare a country’s progress over time, allowing you to identify where a country has improved since InfraCompass 2017.
- Providing guidance for best practice: Based on the data, we identify areas for priority action for each country and provide links to specific, best practice materials to guide users on actionable next steps.
In keeping with our mission, InfraCompass 2020 is all about providing the insights needed to improve the quantity of quality infrastructure being built globally, so keep an eye on our website and your inbox later this month when we release it. Not already receiving GI Hub news? Subscribe here.